WHAT IS STUMP GRINDING?
Stump grinding is the process of cutting the stump of a tree into small, reusable wood chips. This procedure destroys the stump and kills the underlying root system. A stump grinder is a powerful machine that uses a rotating disc covered in sharp, tungsten teeth to grind the stump down into a mulch. A tree surgeon uses a stump grinder once a tree has been removed to prevent the tree from growing back, to create space to plant new saplings and to prevent the stump from attracting pests or disease.
WHY STUMP GRINDING?
Any arborist could tell you that stump grinding is an essential part of tree removal. Stumps remain connected to the tree’s root system. This can lead them to survive long after the tree has been cut down. Due to their connection to the root ball of the tree, removing the stump requires a hole far bigger than the circumference of the stump and will often require a crane to extract. This can be expensive and damaging to your garden. Stump grinding is a far easier process; cheaper for you and better for your garden.
- Once our team have removed the tree and any hazards, we bring the stump grinder on site.
- We then set the grinder’s teeth over the stump and begin the process of dismantling the structure.
- As the wood is broken down by the machine, it is turned into mulch derived from organic wood and soil from your garden.
- The Tree Surgeon will determine a depth for the machine to ensure that the stump will decay and new vegetation can be planted.
- Once completed, the machine and all large materials and waste will be removed from the site.
- The premium mulch will be used to fill the hole left by the stump, creating an optimal site for new saplings, vegetation or land use.
- A full cleanup of the site is done, leaving the property in a better condition than it started.